Saturday, July 31, 2010

Cultural Excursion for Intercultural Communication Report

Since Jeanne, Youngran, and I could not find the day that accommodated our complicated and different schedules for the cultural excursion, I am grateful that Jeanne has suggested that we could visit the Getty Center Museum with the virtual tour, for I feel that I have become much more culturally sophisticated by it.

According to its website, the Getty Center Los Angeles is home to the J. Paul Getty Center Museum. It also houses a research institute a leadership training institute, a grant program and a conservation institute. The Getty Center Los Angeles was opened on December 16, 1997. The Getty Center Museum has a number of fine collections and exhibitions of classical sculpture and art. They also exhibit European paintings, drawings, manuscripts, sculpture, decorative arts, and photographs.
(http://www.destination360.com/north-america/us/california/los-angeles/getty-center#)

After watching the short film clip about the overview of the Getty Museum, I told myself that I had to visit the place over this summer. It would be a wonderful experience if Jeanne and Youngran’s family could accompany with me.

According to the clip, the visitors would see:

• European paintings, drawings, manuscripts, sculpture and decorative arts, and European and American photographs
• A selection from the special collections of the Research Library at the Getty Research Institute
• Modern architecture and gardens

The Getty Center Museum also offers educational resources for adult learners, teachers, students, and families. Since I was particularly interested in educational aspects of ELS learning and Jeanne also suggested me to explore for the ESL educational resources, I spent extensive time in navigating the below sites for ESL learning activities and workshops. I was so ecstatic about these sites that I felt like a kid in the candy store. WOW! Look at these enrichment curricula and resources that the museum offers:

Language through Art: ESL Workshops (Education at the Getty)
One-day program for adult ESL teachers. Learn strategies for using the Gettys collection to enhance your English-language acquisition curriculum.

ESL Enrichment Curriculum (Education at the Getty)
Lessons for adult ESL students that build language skills though art.

ESL Enrichment Curriculum (Education at the Getty)
Lessons for adult ESL students that build language skills through art.

Professional Development Opportunities (Education at the Getty)
Information about resources and services for teachers at the Getty Center, Los Angeles

Language through Art: An ESL Enrichment Curriculum (Education at the Getty)
Visiting the Getty Center with your ESL class.

Looking at Portraits Lesson 4: Commission Statement (Education at the Getty)
Students apply what they have learned about portraits in a formal writing exercise.

Looking at Narrative Art Lesson 1: What Are Stories? (Education at the Getty)
Students discover how visual artists represent a story by depicting a single moment from it.

All Curricula (Education at the Getty)
Visual arts curricula developed by the Getty Museum tie into other subject areas. Aligned with California state and national standards.

Looking at Narrative Art Lesson 2: What's the End of the Story? (Education at the Getty)
Students will create a story based on an image.

Language through Art: An ESL Enrichment Curriculum (Education at the Getty)
Tips for teaching about landscapes in the visual arts.

Language through Art: An ESL Enrichment Curriculum (Education at the Getty)
Tips for teaching about portraits.

Language through Art: An ESL Enrichment Curriculum (Education at the Getty)
Tips for teaching about representing narrative in the visual arts.

Language through Art (Intermediate Level) (Education at the Getty)
A series of lessons for adult learners of ESL focusing on building language skills through art.

Looking at Landscapes Lesson 1: Finding Yourself in a Landscape (Education at the Getty)
Students make connections between their personal experiences and landscapes.

Looking at Landscapes Lesson 2: Verbal Descriptions (Education at the Getty)
Students practice their speaking skills while describing a landscape scene for a partner to draw.

Looking at Narrative Art Lesson 3: Creating Your Own Story (Education at the Getty)
Students think about a dramatic moment in their lives and imagine how to translate it into a work of art.
(http://www.getty.edu/Search/SearchServlet?la=en&col=getty&nh=10&qt=esl+learning&lk=1&rf=0&st=11)

Thank you, Jeanne, for suggesting me to go on virtual tour at the Getty Center Museum. I had fun and learned a lot from it!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, good, Hea-Young! The link worked for you.

    I'm so glad you enjoyed the virtual tour of the Getty Museum. They offer so many great workshops and activities, especially for ESL.

    I see you found some of them that are specific to our program needs. Hopefully we will be able to schedule an actual visit to the museum together later this summer.

    Stay well, my friend.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete